Major indices all higher
The US stocks are closing near their highs for the day. The Russell 2000 index of small-cap stocks was the biggest gain or with a 1.1% rise.
- Dow and S&P up to the last three trading days
- NASDAQ snapped a five day losing streak
- The major indices closed near their highs for the day
- S&P has its best day in more than two weeks
- All major S&P sectors rose with the exception of utilities
- Energy +3.83%. Industrials +1.12%, Materials +1.11%, financials +0.93%. S&P sector laggards include utilities -0.14%, consumer staples +0.41%, real estate +0.42%, and discretionary +0.67%
the final numbers are showing:
- Dow rose 236.8 points or 0.68% at 34814.40
- S&P index rose 37.63 points or 0.85% at 4480.69
- NASDAQ index rose 123.78 points or 0.82% 15161.54
- Russell 2000 rose 24.46 points or 1.11% at 2234.45
The US dollar was weaker today, despite the fact that US interest rates move higher. The Canadian dollar was the strongest of the majors.